Getting inked is all the craze right now and it is easy to see why. You get to choose your own personal (and permanent) way to express who you are, with a work of art. The flipside to this is that since it is a permanent, one wrong line and it stays with you forever. Therefore it is so important to do your research before you get a tattoo done.
Here are step by step instructions on how to go from clueless to inked!
STEP 1: ASK FRIENDS AND FAMILY
If you know someone personally with a tattoo you like, talk to them about their journey to getting the tattoo.
-Where did they get their tattoo? Would they recommend that place for your first ink?
- What kind of research did they do before getting inked? Do they know other places you should look into? Have they looked into Raleigh tattoo places?
- Are there any valuable lessons they learned from their own mistakes that you can consider before you get your first tattoo?
- What is the story behind their tattoo?
These questions not only help you understand the world of tattoo art but is a great conversation piece!
STEP 2: LOOK AT REVIEWS ONLINE
If you do know someone that was helpful in giving you their opinions or reviews, make sure to check those places out! If you are not fortunate enough to know someone who can help you through this, the internet is a great place to start. Look up tattoo parlors with the best reviews. In either case, always remember, it is just a ‘review’ or one person’s opinion. Do not blindly follow through with getting a tattoo because someone said they had a good experience.
When online, look for reviews with pictures or videos so you can see the artwork they are talking about and form your own opinion. But as a rule of thumb, if you see many reviews, be it good or bad, the likelihood of you agreeing with that opinion is much larger. Raleigh tattoo places have great reviews.
STEP 3: CHECK OUT PLACES NEARBY
Before you travel cross country to get inked by that one good artist, scout your local areas first. See what it has to offer. For all you know, you have been passing by a great spot all this while, without even knowing it. Raleigh Tattoo places welcome walk-ins too!
Look for like-minded tattoo enthusiasts in your area and gain from their experiences. Word of mouth reviews are always the best anyway since people are quick to share a bad experience, helping you make a more informed decision.
STEP 4: PAY A VISIT TO THE TOP CONTENDERS
Once you have done substantial research, make a note of your top contenders and pay them a visit! Just because the tattoo artist is talented does not mean the tattoo parlor they work out of it the right fit for you.
- Check out the exterior: Make note of the area they are situated, the type of clientele they tend to and the overall look of the tattoo parlor. Since tattoo artists come across clients from all walks of life, you want to be sure you are comfortable with your fellow customers.
- Go inside and have a look: What does the actual tattoo parlor look like? Where is their proof of being a legitimate establishment? Is the room well-lit and clean? How is the vibe inside—cheery and upbeat, or more somber and risqué? Is this the kind of place you are comfortable in?
Do they have pictures of their previous workup? Are they appealing to you? Is the staff welcoming and helpful? Do they seem to know their craft well?
Do they have professional equipment? A legitimate establishment must have tattoo bed(s), use sterilized needles and high-grade ink. Information on aftercare or even selling these products in-house is a great bonus!
STEP 6: MEET UP WITH THE TATTOO ARTIST
So you checked profiles and reviews online, scouted the spots in person and finally make up your mind on which one you liked best. It is essential that you meet up with your Durham tattoo artists before diving in. A consultation will help you and your artist come to the same page with regards to what you want.
STEP 7: INK AWAY!